KC Zoo Tiger Donation

To help fulfill Mason's dream and help the Tigers:
KC Zoo Attn Laura Berger "In Memory of Mason Kempf" 6800 Zoo Dr Kansas City, MO 64132

For the beauty of Snow and Magic on Christmas :
Elves of Christmas Present PO Box 3535
Olathe, KS 66063

Friday, September 9, 2011

Sprinkles...

Yesterday a shadow laid over my heart.  Milo our pug of 15 years was put to rest. All I could think about was Mason. For dog years, Milo lived a full and happy life. It was years ago when Bobby our cat was laid to rest; the vet reminded me, "Animals teach us how short life really is." 
I smile to think Mason and Milo reunited again. Mason always wanted a dog to play fetch; and many years ago Milo did just that. 

  Ally reported to any one that would listen, "Milo died today"  It's as natural as the sun rising. It was the news of the day.  "Milo is in heaven with Mason."

Normal day to day things are so far from normal. The little sprinkles sometimes catch me so off guard. For instance, Ally coughed all day. "I am not sick mom."  By lunch time I had a dose of Mucinex to help with her cough.  I was not prepared for the battle. Who would have known? It's so yummy and cherry flavored.  By night time, Ally's cough worsened, she screamed in fear at the mention of medicine.  Begging and fighting with tears, "NO MEDICINE!" She clamped her mouth tightly shut and spit out my forceful attempt.

Later, a light bulb flickered; why on Earth would Ally take medicine?  After all, she witnessed Mason take medicine everyday.  It didn't help him.  In fact he died.  Why take medicine if it makes you die?  What is Ally suppose to think? She learned words like chemo, tumor and brain cancer. And hey, medicine is scarier than plants eating zombies.  All summer long she had a fear of band-aids too.  Mason hated them, it only represented each poke after each blood draw.  And Mason would never let me remove the band-aids.  It was wrong to even try.  Damn cancer.   I am SO awake now.  Ally still coughing, "I am o.k. mom, there must be something in the air"

Sprinkle, sprinkle...I need a rainbow.


6 comments:

pannellfamily said...

I will send you a keypad rainbow (((( and ((hugs)). I hope Ally feels better today. <3

Anonymous said...

here's an awesome rainbow http://vimeo.com/26569110

The Kempf Family said...

Wow the video was breathtaking. Thank you for sharing a timelapse journey with nature. I will watch again and again.

Anonymous said...

"There is nothing that can replace the absence of someone dear to us, and one should not even attempt to do so. One must simply hold out and endure it. At first that sounds very hard, but at the same time it is also a great comfort. For to the extent the emptiness truly remains unfilled one remains connected to the other person through it. It is wrong to say that God fills the emptiness. God in no way fills it but much more leaves it precisely unfilled and thus helps us preserve -- even in pain -- the authentic relationship. Further more, the more beautiful and full the remembrances, the more difficult the separation. But gratitude transforms the torment of memory into silent joy. One bears what was lovely in the past not as a thorn but as a precious gift deep within, a hidden treasure of which one can always be certain."
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace Milo. I remember, back when, you used to dress Milo in clothes. He was such a spoiled little guy. I can see him running in the wide open fields with Mason. No leash and no pain

Carrie

Stacey said...

Andria, thank you for continuing to share your life with us. I'm sorry to hear about Milo. Last school year my 4th grade class sent Mason snowflake cards. I was lucky and got to move up to 5th grade this year and see all of them sometime during the day in Reading. Our first unit in Reading is Challenges and they often bring up Mason and your family and the challenges you all face. One of my students describes it as a challenge of the heart. They still talk about the blog and his pictures and how they wish they could have been his friend. Mason continues to touch our lives.